Thursday, July 19, 2007

True Confession: How I Fell for Fantasy

Okay. So I'm a young kid - 10 I believe. And my Mom and Dad decide to buy me a new "game" for Christmas. Little did they know what they had begun. I opened the box to Dungeons and Dragons and a new world seemed to open to me like nothing I'd heard of but like I always wanted to exist.

My brother had played. He was home from college. He decided that he would try and play with his kid sister and his parents. Needless to say, it didn't work. I bought in, but they never did.

He left and I was left with the basic rules and adventure. I knew it back and forward.

And then my parents heard rumors and news stories about someone who had taken the game too seriously and kids who got killed. That put an end to their acceptance of fantasy.

But what's ironic is that when I look back to the very beginning I realize that one of the main reasons I loved fantasy at all was because of my Mom who became the most adamant against fantasy. She was the one who loved Camelot and all things King Arthur. She was also one of the greatest readers I've ever known.

In the end, my love for fantasy could not die. More on that later....

-Lis

No comments: