Saturday, August 4, 2007

Raistlin vs. Snape

Why is it that as I read Dragonlance I always wanted Raistlin to be good? And when I read Harry Potter I wanted Snape to end up good? I guess it's just my nature to always hope that people are not beyond saving.

Raistlin was changed after his experience becoming a mage - though he had the beginnings of arrogance before he went in. His brother was unfailingly solicitous - even going beyond to save Raist. And Raist held it against him - hating to have to rely on someone beneath him. It was only Caramon's love that got Raist to change at the last.

Snape was arrogant from the start too. He loved Lily and the only reason why he did not allow Voldemort to win was because he loved Lily - no one but her.

Sure the common theme is Love. But Raist started from wanting to help - not realizing the pitfall that absolute power always brings. Snape was always arrogant, proud, rude, and mean. While Raist was saved - was Snape? According to J.K. Rowling when she was asked about Snape finally proving he was good - she was shocked. She said that she never wrote him to be good. And she also said that without Lily to spur him on, Snape would not have cared one whit about Harry Potter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

always wanted Raistlin to be good in the end as well- he was my favorite character, actually. Flawed, but believably so. And he fits perfectly into the story.

Snape, on the other hand...he's okay, and I never really thought of him going over to the bad side...he turned out "good" in the end though.